The Aurender N20 High-Definition Caching Music Streamer provides the fidelity, features and flexibility the digital audiophile will find attractive and meaningful. A significant advantage is that the N20 contains two empty storage bays. This allows you to customise storage to best meet your budget and intended use.
Within the Aurender range of models, the N20 truly represents the best cost / performance ratio in terms of audio performance, features and functionally. Many performance enhancing design techniques, circuit topologies and upgraded component parts have been employed to push its advancement of digital audio reproduction.
- Ultra-High-Quality SPDIF and AES/EBU Digital Audio Outputs. The N20’s AES/EBU, BNC, Coaxial, and Optical outputs provide a superior musical presentation with some DACs due to the superior clock and oscillator. As opposed to asynchronous USB connections, where the DAC pulls packets of information from the player, N20’s SPDIF audio outputs push the signal out to the DAC at intervals defined by the on-board precision OCXO clock.
- Oven-Controlled Crystal Oscillator (OCXO) for Long-Term Jitter Reduction. OCXOs are among the most accurate and stable clocks in use today, and are orders of magnitude more accurate and stable than commonly used ordinary crystal oscillators usually found in computers.
- Precision DSD-to-PCM Conversion by FPGA. Many DACs support DSD decoding only on their USB inputs, but not on SPDIF. Additionally, some excellent DACs still in use are non-DSD compliant altogether. That’s why the Aurender N20 (and W20SE and N10) all feature this extremely high quality method of DSD-to-PCM conversion on-the-fly by FPGA.
- FPGA-Based All-Digital Phase-Locked Loop System. An All-Digital Phase-Locked Loop system (ADPLL) incorporating Field-Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA) with OCXO clocks precisely times digital audio data transmissions and minimises jitter to below negligible levels.
- Dedicated USB Audio Class 2.0 Output with Ultra-Low Noise Power Circuitry. The N20’s dedicated USB Audio Class 2.0 output is designed to deliver an exceptionally transparent audio signal free of noise and jitter, and it is shielded from outside electronic interference. The improved module-type design is chassis mounted for strength and durability.
- Dedicated Word Clock Input. The N20 offers support for an external word clock which can, in some cases, improve upon the SPDIF audio performance in terms of musical rhythm, pace, timing, and phase coherance.
- Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS). At the heart of any music server is, essentially, a computer. Like any desktop computer, it doesn’t like when its electrical connection is abruptly terminated. In the case of an AC power outage or momentary “brownout”, the N20 is protected by a clever super capacitor-based power supply which allows the unit to stay powered on long enough to automatically power down.
- User-Installable Hard Drive Storage with Solid-State Caching Drive for Playback. The N20 provides unparalleled flexibility in terms of the type and capacity of drive that can be fitted.
- USB HDD and NAS (Network-Attached Storage) Support. The most streamlined use case occurs when music is stored on the Aurender’s internal storage. However, the Aurender platform is also capable of seamlessly integrating content stored on a NAS, external USB HDD or thumb drive.
- Upsampling and Critical Listening Mode. N20 offers the user the ability to upsample any lower resolution content to a user determined sampling rate. Three selections are available to choose from: 44.1/48kHz, 88.2/96kHz and 176.4/192kHz. Since results vary from server-to-DAC combinations, experimentation is in order to determine the sonic results. Upsampling effects only the system’s SPDIF digital outputs, not USB. Critical Listening Mode is a feature that allows the user to defeat any background tasks and circuitry that are non-essential to playing music.
- Aurender Conductor App Packed with Convenient Features for Full-Function Control. The Aurender Conductor App turns the iPad, iPhone, Android phones and tablets into a versatile user interface for all Aurender music servers. All settings and functions of the Aurender server can be easily accessed through the Settings menu, and Conductor comes with extensive features to make browsing and playing high resolution music collections a breeze.
- MQA Core Decoder (optional in-app purchase). Aurender’s MQA Core Decoder upgrade enables MQA Core or first unfold allowing playback of MQA files at up to 88.2kHz or 96kHz. This is beneficial if using a non-MQA DAC as Core Decoding will deliver some of the MQA benefit from MQA encoded content.
- Remote Internet Technical Support. Sending a Remote Support Request through the Aurender App allows engineers to quickly diagnose and correct problems over the Internet. This service can correct for file, software or firmware issues and is a service provided free of charge.