The Aurender W20SE New Flagship Caching Music Server and Streamer / MQA Core-Decoder is the music server of choice for the finest audio systems in the world. Designed to be used with high-performance digital-to-analog converters, the Aurender W20SE is one of the few music servers to provide support for external word clocks used in professional audio and recording studios. Additionally, a dual-wire mode AES/EBU used by some reference grade digital-to-analog converters to allow separate transmission of left and right channels for better fidelity. Even without using an external word clock input or dual AES/EBU outputs, W20SE’s battery power supply provides a dramatically lower noise floor for a totally silent background. With a 4TB internal SSD and a 1TB SSD caching drive for playback, the W20SE is the ideal solution for even the most extensive high-resolution music collections.
- Innovative Technology with Battery Power, Dual-Wire AES/EBU, Master Clock Input. In digital audio, jitter and noise in the audio signal can adversely affect the performance of digital-to-analog converters. The Aurender W20 is was the world’s first music server to completely eliminate noise from AC power supplies and AC mains through the use of LiFePO4 (LFP) batteries to power the audio circuitry.
- Full Range of Digital Audio Outputs and Ports for Network Connectivity. Designed to be matched with the highest performing digital-to-analog converters, the Aurender W20SE is equipped with various SPDIF outputs (Dual AES/EBU, Coaxial BNC and Optical) and one dedicated USB Audio Class 2.0 output. For network connectivity and file transfers, the W20SE comes with one a Gigabit Ethernet port and two USB 2.0 data ports.
- Aurender Conductor App Packed with Convenient Features for Full-Function Control. The Aurender Conductor App turns the iPad into a versatile user interface for all Aurender music servers. All settings and functions of the Aurender server can be easily accessed through the Settings menu, and Conductor comes with extensive features to make browsing and playing high resolution music collections a breeze.
- MQA Core Decoder Installed. Aurender’s MQA Core Decoder upgrade enables MQA Core or first unfold allowing playback of MQA files at up to 88.2kHz or 96kHz. This is beneficial if using a non-MQA DAC as Core Decoding will deliver some of the MQA benefit from MQA encoded content.
- External Word Clock Support. The protocol to send digital audio signal through COAX or AES/EBU is called SPDIF. SPDIF sends clock and data together without a handshake. The DAC’s clock needs to follow the clock signal contained in the signal to avoid overflow or underrun. This operation of trying to sync to the clock in SPDIF can generate jitter in the DAC’s clock.
- Dual-Wire Mode AES/EBU. Dual-wire AES/EBU mode is sometimes used in reference digital-to-analog converters to double the level of resolution possible on an AES/EBU digital interconnect. When the AES/EBU output is used in dual-mode, the left and right channel information transmitted at 192kHz sample rate to make a 24-Bit, 384Hz stereo transmission. Since the maximum frequency is halved, transmission line requirement becomes less critical.
- Separate LiFePO4 (LFP) Battery Power Supply for the Audio Circuitry. Two banks of LiFePO4 batteries alternately power audio components and perform recharging. This technique completely isolates the audio components from ground noise and also reduces jitter and the distortion often incurred in the conversion of AC to DC.
- Internal UPS Protects W20SE Under an Abrupt Power Outage Condition. An additional bank of LiFePO4 batteries act as an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) and protect the system in case any sudden power outages. The UPS will always allow the W20SE to safely shut down.
- Oven-Controlled Crystal Oscillator (OCXO) for Long-Term Jitter Reduction. OCXOs are among the most accurate and stable clocks available today. OCXOs are many orders of magnitude more accurate and stable than the ordinary and commonly used crystal oscillators found in computers. Also, temperature changes can cause the crystal oscillators frequency to fluctuate which can lead to jitter in the digital audio signal path.
- Precision DSD-to-PCM Conversion by FPGA. Many DACs support DSD decoding only on their USB inputs but not on SPDIF or AES/EBU. That’s why the Aurender W20SE features an extremely high-quality DSD-to-PCM conversion performed by FPGA. Regardless of how fast the CPU is, performing DSD to PCM conversion by software results in poor sound quality because it requires thousands of filter calculations in parallel.
- FPGA-Based All Digital Phase-Locked Loop System. An All-Digital Phase-Locked Loop system (ADPLL) incorporating Field-Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA) along with OCXO clocks precisely times digital audio data transmission and minimises jitter to below negligible levels.
- 4TB Solid-State Drive Storage with 1TB Solid-State Cache Drive for Playback. An internal drive providing 4TB of SSD content storage and a 1TB SSD caching drive are housed in a vault of machined aluminium which protects the audio circuitry from the effects of EMI interference. Caching using the 1TB SSD is done files and for streaming content. This increases stability and improves sound quality of files and when using streaming services such as Qobuz or Tidal.
- Dedicated USB Audio Class 2.0 Output with Ultra Low-Noise Power Circuitry. The dedicated next-generation USB Audio Class 2.0 output is designed to deliver an exceptionally transparent audio signal free of noise and is shielded from any outside electronic interference. The W20SE’s USB Audio output provides a noise and jitter-free transmission to the DAC to deliver the best performance possible.
- Linear Power Supply. A new linear power supply was designed is for powering the CPU, storage and other areas of the W20SE’s circuit topology. The linear supply provides a highly stable and low-noise environment for this critical circuitry.
- 2X Isolated LAN Port. LAN Port is doubly isolated – this 2X isolated LAN port isolates the W20SE from any noise introduced by the routers LAN connection.
- USB HDD and NAS (Network-Attached Storage) Support. Best practice is storing music on W20SE’s internal SSDs. However, Aurender’s platform is capable of selecting and playing content stored from a NAS or an external USB hard drive using Folder/File browsing. Content on the USB HDD or NAS drive can be conveniently copied to the internal storage of W20SE using the Aurender Conductor App. Or, you can use a Mac/PC to transfer content over the network if you wish.
- Remote Internet Technical Support. Aurender allows for users to communicate directly to technical support personal directly from the Aurender Conductor app. Sending a Remote Support Request allows technicians to quickly diagnose and correct issues over the internet.