The Rockford Fosgate PM100X1 Punch Marine 100 Watt Full-Range Mono Amplifier is a 100 Watt dynamic power mono amp using DC and AC voltages present on existing radio speaker outputs.
This design allows connection to a speaker wire without running a B+ cable. It also presents a safe load to the radio amp circuit to eliminate excessive wear and tear on the radio, making it ideal for OEM and aftermarket radio integration. The conformal coated PCB allows for mobile, motorsport and marine applications. PM100X1K ‘KIT’ ships with 2 pcs. The PM100X1 amplifier uses our patent pending BTL technology to provide you a very unique amplifier solution. This single-channel amplifier utilises the speaker output of the radio to not only provide the audio signal it needs, but also the power that runs the unit. This is done through a combination of the DC offset voltage commonly present and the audio AC signal itself.
- Patented BTL Powered ‘FreeLoad’ Technology (US 9,438,181 B1)
- Harvests both B+ and Audio Signal From Standard Head Unit Speaker Outputs
- Uses Stored Energy from BTL Amplifier to Produce Dynamic Power of Over 100W
- High Level Turn On
- Current Limited to Protect Head Unit for both 4 Ohm and 2 Ohm Configurations
- Optional B+ Connection for Non-Standard Speaker Outputs
- Small Stealth Package that Allows for Anywhere Installation
- 60, 80 and 100 Hz Selectable 12dB/Oct HP Butterworth Crossover
- Selectable 4 and 2 Ohm Play
- Pig Tail Connectivity for Easy Installation
- Muted turn on
- Extruded Aluminum Heat Sink
- Thermal Protection
- Short Circuit & Over Voltage Protection
- Discrete surface mount technology
- CEA-2006 Compliant & CE Compliant
Initially, it uses the DC offset voltage for its turn on power as well as primary amplification power. As volume is increased and the output power demand rises, the amplifier begins sharing the power load between the DC and AC signals. Once high volume is reached, the majority of the amplifiers power is provided from the AC signal only and is supplemented by its internal storage bank.
This design allows it to actually charge its capacitive bank on the downside of the AC signal wave which is essentially unused power anyway. It also presents no more load to the radio than a standard 2 or 4 Ohm speaker would thus keeping the radio amplifier circuit safe from low impedance conditions. This design allows the amplifier to be connected to a radio with a rated 20 Watt output and produce up to 100 Watts dynamically. The unit also features a 2/ 4 Ohm input switch to match the amplifier to the output impedance rating of the radio circuit. For speaker protection, we incorporate and selectable high pass crossover with setting at 60, 80 and 100Hz.
In rare cases, there is not enough DC voltage present to power the amp at turn on so an add on B+ wire is included and can be tied to other lower current circuits in its proximity. This design makes the amplifier ideal for OEM or aftermarket upgrades without having to use physically larger amplifiers as they can be hidden in the dash or doors of the vehicle. It is also IPX6 rated for those installs where moisture may be present.